Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I would not eat them anywhere...

Did you know that Green Eggs & Ham is 50 years old? And, more importantly, did you know that there only 50 words in Green Eggs & Ham? And of those 50 words, only one of them has more than one syllable? I’ve read Green Eggs & Ham numerous times – as a kid, and as a parent – and its charm remains fresh, its persistence intact.

The Random House people – that is, the publishers of Green Eggs & Ham – are celebrating this half century of fifty words with a "HAM It Up" video contest: if you make a video of yourself and/or your kids acting out a scene from the book, you could win cash, art, and a year’s supply of (not green) ham.

The details of the contest can be found on Seussville, but get cracking! Video can be submitted until 11/3. Voting starts 10/5. And the winners will be announced on 11/15.

And because you might need help remembering all of the words, Random House provided me with a copy of the book to give away to one of you lucky people. All you have to do is leave a comment (with a valid email address, please). Winner will be chosen at random on Tuesday 10/5 at noon EST.  AND THE WINNER IS #9 - YOURFIREANT.
So I will eat them in a box.
And I will eat them with a fox.
And I will eat them in a house.
And I will eat them with a mouse.
And I will eat them here and there.
Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE!

I do so like
green eggs and ham!
Thank you!
Thank you, Sam-I-am!

(Nobody paid me for this post, though I did get a second copy of the book for my own use.)

10 comments:

meno said...

But would you, could you in a tree?

Dora said...

I love green eggs, but not ham. Had eggs with arugula pesto and cheese recently. Yum!

painted maypole said...

i love green eggs and ham. have never quite loved The Cat in the Hat as much. always feels too long.

love most Seuss, actually.

FreshHell said...

I think that was Seuss's challenge: to write a book using only 50 basic words. He did it and then some.

RuthWells said...

My incredibly witty husband once read "The Cat in the Hat" out loud to an adult cabaret audience. They were enraptured.

Mental P Mama said...

Another 50 year old...I am in some fine company;)

coldspaghetti said...

If I get chosen, send it on to someone else -- but I wanted to throw in that a friend and I used this book for dramatic duo reading in a high school speech contest. Just to show that the possibilities are endless! :-)

The Library Lady said...

Wonder if people who keep kosher don't read this.
Because no matter what color the eggs, the ham is still trayf.

YourFireAnt said...

I will not eat them with fox in socks, or on the A train to the Bronx, or even underneath the docks at sunset when the big gull squawks....


;-)

The Absence of Alternatives said...

I did not know any of those facts. Amazing! I have to say: when the kids were little, I dreaded reading the Seuss books. Once is fun. Twice is endearing. But when it got to the 100th times? Kill me now please! (Ok, just kidding) Just please don't tell me that they are making a movie based on this book and by doing so, ruining this beloved childhood favorites for many...

(p.s. There are 2 copies of this book in my house already :-) )